Arkport is a community named after the practice of “arking”, that is, the building of arks out of the felled pine trees of the valley and floating the lumber down river all the way to the Chesapeake Bay.
Founded in 1797, the Arkport community grew slowly and steadily. As the community developed, so was the need to cultivate the life of Christ among the people. The First Presbyterian Church of Arkport was established in 1852. Since those early days, this congregation has been used by God countless ways to shape and serve others with the love and truth and life of Jesus Christ.
We are thankful for the generations of God’s faithfulness to and through His people here. Likewise, we are humbled and challenged by the faith and Christ-like passion of those who have gone before us. It is upon that foundation that the church of today is continuing to be built. So it is that in our day we trust that God will continue His faithful work through us in our generation.
“God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.”
(1 Corinthians 1:9)